Formula 1 News

Vettel plays down furore over Red Bull cars

The German said that the positive effects of the controversial floor design, outlawed last week by the FIA, had been exaggerated.
Thursday, June 7, 2012

MONTREAL, June 7, 2012 (AFP / Gordon Howard) - Defending double world champion Sebastian Vettel on Thursday played down the furore over a ban on 'holes' in the floors of his Red Bull team's cars - and said it did not really bother him.

The 24-year-old German, said that the positive effects of the controversial floor design, outlawed last week by the International Motoring Federation
(FIA), had been exaggerated.

Talking to reporters ahead of this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix, he said the fuss made about the concept was overplayed.

The design was banned by the FIA after the Monaco Grand Prix, won by his Red Bull team-mate Australian Mark Webber, following complaints by rival teams.

Webber said he was disappointed at the decision and the reaction to it because it suggested that his victory in Monte Carlo may have been achieved in
an 'illegal' car.

But Vettel said: "I don't care. I don't believe it has a big impact on what we do on the circuit. I think it is more important to get the tyre pressures
right."

He added that while the floor design had been a focus for other teams, and the media, Red Bull had made gains through other updates during the same
period.

"It wasn't just (the floor) that came," he said. "It's more that we tried a lot of things, some things worked, some things didn't work. There's much more
behind it.

"I didn't think there was anything wrong with the car we had at Monaco, or before that. Nevertheless I don't think it will make a big difference."

He added that his biggest complaint was about the lack of clarity over what is considered legal. "It's a shame it goes one way and the other, one way and the other. I think it's really difficult to understand what is going on. But it is as it is now," he said.

Earlier, Webber told reporters he was "pissed off' at suggestions that he won the Monaco Grand Prix with an illegal car.

"I think that I would not know if the floor is changed or unchanged," said Webber. "From the driving side we are very optimistic that the change will not
make much difference at all.

"You won't believe us, but we had some changes for Valencia anyway which included no hole, irrespective of the rule changes.

"And in relation to wining races with an illegal car - I am happy to be called lots of things and have criticism about my driving, but I will not take talk about the car being illegal. It pisses me off, to be honest.

"The car has passed every single technical regulation after the race. All the teams against it did not make any protest after Monaco, the car passed the
test after Bahrain and passed the test after Monaco and there is a clarification, and the rule is different.

"We had a car that was legal for the start of the season. The rule has been changed and we will race on."

Your Comments

Next F1 Race

Germany
Jul 20
Germany

Formula 1 News

Monday, July 7, 2014

Silverstone two day test lineup

F1plusStore

F1 Standings

Drivers
Teams
1 Nico Rosberg 165
2 Lewis Hamilton 161
3 Daniel Ricciardo 98
4 Fernando Alonso 87
5 Valtteri Bottas 73
6 Sebastian Vettel 70
1 Mercedes 326
2 Red Bull Racing 168
3 Ferrari 106
4 Williams F1 103
5 Sahara Force India 91
6 McLaren 90

View complete standings table »

F1plusStore

Last F1 Race

British Grand Prix
Silverstone, Silverstone
1
Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes
2
Valtteri Bottas
Williams F1
3
Daniel Ricciardo
Red Bull Racing
Fastest Lap

Lewis Hamilton
1'37.176s

Pole Position

Nico Rosberg

View all »

Follow Us