Formula 1 News

I've done all I can for Force India nod - Sutil

The German is competing with Jules Bianchi for the only pending race seat in the grid.
Thursday, February 21, 2013

BARCELONA, Feb 21, 2013 (AFP) - Adrian Sutil insists he will not be losing sleep over his Formula One fate as Force India decide whether to award the championship's final available drive to him or French rookie Jules Bianchi.

The 30-year-old Sutil lost his seat to Nico Hulkenberg after the 2011 season, but is back in contention with his fellow German now at Sauber and with Force India still having only confirmed Paul di Resta for the 2013 season which starts on March 17.

"This team knows me well because I spent six years with them," said Sutil, after clocking the eighth-fastest time in testing on Thursday.

"I wanted to show them that I am still quick and that was very important. I can sleep peacefully. I have done all I can to get back into F1. I don't know who is the favourite for the drive, it's up to the Force India shareholders to decide."

Sutil admitted that prowess on the track will not be the only criteria when Force India make their decision with a driver's ability to bring sponsorship to the team deemed equally crucial.

"It has to be something else otherwise they would have confirmed a driver in plenty of time for the first test (in Jerez earlier in February)," he said.

"There is some business behind it. It can't take long anymore as in three weeks there is a race."

Earlier, Force India deputy team principal, Bob Fernley, revealed that both Sutil and Bianchi, who will drive on Friday, will be given equal opportunity to prove their worth.

"We're giving everyone the amount of mileage they need. We'll try and get all the information we've been collecting to the shareholders this weekend and then it's their decision," said Fernley.

"We want to make sure it's an even playing field for everybody and that, more importantly, they (Sutil and Bianchi) have the opportunity to get used to the car.

"Obviously one of them will come through and we don't want to disadvantage them in any way."

Di Resta says his only wish is that his team chooses a driver capable of moving the team forward.

"I know both very well. They're both good people and they've both been part of the team for a long time," said the Scot. "It's all up to the board members, the key people in the team. They make the decision as to who they want to partner me.

"I'm very supportive of whoever it might be as long as they're pushing me on and they're a team player; that's the important part."

Your Comments

Next F1 Race

Malaysia
Mar 30
Malaysia

Formula 1 News

Thursday, March 20, 2014

It is not that bad. Let’s be patient

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Amid Mercedes lead, teams begin the hunt

F1plusStore

F1 Standings

Drivers
Teams
1 Nico Rosberg 25
2 Kevin Magnussen 18
3 Jenson Button 15
4 Fernando Alonso 12
5 Valtteri Bottas 10
6 Nico Hülkenberg 8
1 McLaren 33
2 Mercedes 25
3 Ferrari 18
4 Williams F1 10
5 Sahara Force India 9
6 Scuderia Toro Rosso 6

View complete standings table »

F1plusStore

Last F1 Race

Australian Grand Prix
Melbourne, Albert Park Lake
1
Nico Rosberg
Mercedes
2
Kevin Magnussen
McLaren
3
Jenson Button
McLaren
Fastest Lap

Nico Rosberg
1'32.478s

Pole Position

Lewis Hamilton

View all »

Follow Us