SINGAPORE, September 19th, 2013 (F1Plus / Jacob Polychronis) - Paul di Resta did not deny speculation that he is contending for the vacant seat at Lotus in 2014 during an interview in Singapore on Thursday.
When asked if he was in contention for the position, di Resta did all but deny the possibility as he evaded the question.
“I don’t know (if I’m in contention), I suppose that’s something you need to ask with them. I’ve always said I’m happy where I am,” Di Resta said.
Di Resta, who claimed 36 points in the first eight races, is now pointless in the past four. The lack of recent results is something which Force India are working hard to transform into performances reminiscent of their earlier races.
“I think we were a bit surprised with our speed at Monza and where it was compared to last year,” said Di Resta. “We went away from there and we’ve had quite detailed debriefings and had every department working together to make sure when we come here we can try and replicate last year.”
Despite efforts from the team at Force India, di Resta believes capturing similar performances to their first eight races remains unlikely. The bar has seemingly been set lower for the remainder of the year, with a respectable finish the main objective.
“I think any points (will be respectable) and I think honestly that’s realistic enough to try and go for. The big results we had at the beginning of the year I would say are out the window at the moment.”
Di Resta recorded his career best finish last year at the Singapore Grand Prix, finishing in fourth position. Replicating that feat this weekend is highly unlikely. However, any sign of improvement will likely be welcomed by Di Resta.
Cars will take to the track for the two practice sessions tomorrow, potentially under wet conditions.