GREATER NOIDA, India, Oct 25, 2013 (F1Plus / AFP) - Ferrari's Fernando Alonso said he wasn't "sad" about continually missing out on the Formula One world title and pledged to keep fighting to win it for a third time.
Alonso won in 2005 and 2006 with Renault but he has played bridesmaid to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel in recent seasons, finishing runner-up twice in the past three years.
And the Spaniard, 32, is on course for another second spot behind the German this year -- but he said he was proud of his efforts during his four seasons so far with Ferrari.
"I have finished second three times in recent years, which could be considered sad, when you are so close to winning, but I am extremely proud of what I am doing now," he said.
"Three times I have fought for the world championship. If I didn't get it, it's not exactly mathematics," added Alonso ahead of the Indian Grand Prix.
"There was one team and one driver better than us in these four years. They deserve it and we congratulate them."
Alonso is currently 90 points behind Vettel, who is expected to wrap up his fourth straight world title this weekend at Buddh International Circuit.
But Alonso, who will be joined at Ferrari in 2014 by flying Finn Kimi Raikkonen 2014, insisted his motivation had not dipped despite Vettel's dominance.
"Motivation is still high and always there, even if it might have been a little bit higher if we were still fighting for the titles," he said.
"I am still only 32 and it's not the last year of my career, so I am sure I will have other opportunities. I feel I am in the best form of my life and driving the best races right now."