Formula 1 News

Brazil's crumbling Interlagos gets $73m facelift

The outdated bot loved circuit will be deservedly revamped.
Saturday, April 12, 2014

SAO PAULO, April 11, 2014 (AFP) - The famed but crumbling Interlagos motor-racing track will get a $73 million (52.6m euros) facelift so that the Brazilian Grand Prix can be saved, organisers and Sao Paulo officials said Friday.

Last year, F1's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone said the race could be scrapped if the 74-year-old circuit wasn't upgraded to keep the grand prix in the city until 2020.

The money will be spent on resurfacing the track, building new stands as well as improving the surrounds of Interlagos after teams complained of cramped conditions.

The track will close on July 15 and reopen at the start of October, a month before the 2014 Brazilian Grand Prix takes place on November 9.

Work will restart in December with a completion date set for February 2015.

Your Comments

 

Formula 1 News

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Ferrari confirms exit for Tombazis, Fry

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Horner says Kvyat has 'Raikkonen mindset'

Monday, December 15, 2014

Nielsen named Williams sporting manager

F1plusStore

F1 Standings

Drivers
Teams
1 Lewis Hamilton 384
2 Nico Rosberg 317
3 Daniel Ricciardo 238
4 Valtteri Bottas 186
5 Sebastian Vettel 167
6 Fernando Alonso 159
1 Mercedes 701
2 Red Bull Racing 405
3 Williams F1 320
4 Ferrari 214
5 McLaren 187
6 Sahara Force India 152

View complete standings table »

F1plusStore

Last F1 Race

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Yas Island, Yas Marina Circuit
1
Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes
2
Felipe Massa
Williams F1
3
Valtteri Bottas
Williams F1
Fastest Lap

Daniel Ricciardo
1'44.496s

Pole Position

Nico Rosberg

View all »

 

Follow Us