MONZA, Italy, Sept 8, 2011 (AFP) - Sebastian Vettel stressed on Thursday that this year's drivers' world championship is far from over -and he has no intention of easing off until the title is his once more.
The 24-year-old German defending champion leads his Red Bull team-mate Australian Mark Webber by 92 points and is 102 clear of two-times champion Spaniard Fernando Alonso of Ferrari. But he intends to attack this weekend's Italian Grand Prix with the same relish that brought him his maiden victory for the Toro Rosso team in a rain-soaked classic in 2008.
"I know that we are in a good position, but the championship is still open and we need to keep the focus and keep the attention to every small detail and make sure we always get the best out of ourselves and out of the car for every single race," he said.
"It's the same again for here, it's a circuit that maybe doesn't suit our car as much as others, but then again we don't know. So, tomorrow will be important and then maybe there is a chance to win. I think we have to go for it.
"If it is out of reach then it would be stupid to do so, it always depends the situation to judge what you can do on a weekend. "But from a championship point of view we are in a strong position and we have been working very hard and made few mistakes so far and I think we deserve to be in that position but this doesn't guarantee that it will all be fine at the next races. "I think the example of last year is a very good one because we saw how quickly things could change.
"Fernando won here and then in Singapore and before here people had said that he was out of the championship and then going into the last race he was the championship leader!"
He added: "Obviously it looks a little bit different this year but I think you have to be aware of how quickly things can change."